Thousands of parents put their beautiful bundles of joy forward to become baby models. This ultimately means that agencies see plenty of baby pictures! Here, commercial modelling agency Models Direct offers their tips on how to make your baby portfolios stand out from the rest.
• A great baby model portfolio will contain a varied mix of different photos. Personality is really important for modelling at any age. Agents and clients want to be able to see personality and versatility in photos, and this is equally true for baby models.
• Think carefully about the different photos you’d like to see, for example, the clothing and location setting. A photo taken in a frilly summer dress outside on a sunny day will be completely different to one in a cute Christmas jumper.
• You should also show variety in the photos with varying levels of close-ups. Include at least one headshot of your baby’s face, and one full-length image. You might also want to include more close-ups – of your baby’s eyes, for example.
• You want to show variety and versatility but you also don’t want to overcrowd the portfolio with old shots, so only select the best photos. The modelling agency or client doesn’t want to (and probably won’t) spend lots of time looking through hundreds of pictures, especially if they are all very similar. Keep the other photos for your albums at home.
• Models Direct remind you that it isn’t necessary to spend money on professional portfolio photos. This is especially true for babies as they grow and change so quickly. However, if you can afford it (and actually want to do it) family or baby portrait photoshoots can look lovely! When applying for a modelling agency or job you can simply apply with photos taken on a camera at home.
• If your baby has already taken part in any modelling assignments, remember to put these photos into the portfolio. These can be the most valuable to an agent or client as they help them determine how the baby copes working with people they don’t know in an unfamiliar environment.
• Don’t forget to include a section with all the relevant details the agency is likely to need. For example, your name and contact details and the gender, age, weight and distinguishing features that your baby has. This information will need to be updated regularly as your baby grows up, something that has been made so much easier by the online portfolios offered by agencies such as Models Direct.
About Models Direct
Models Direct (http://www.modelsdirect.com) is a talent and model agency for female models, male models, teen models, child models and baby models for advertising, fashion, film, TV, promotional and photographic modelling work. We are a Government-regulated Model Employment Agency… not an online showcase, we’re the real thing!
If you think you, or perhaps your partner, child, baby or pet, might be a suitable model for us to put forward for selection to appear in films, TV, fashion, promotions, advertisements and photographic modelling, please visit the website (http://www.modelsdirect.com/become-a-model) or call us on +44 (0)871 224 6000. Modelling can be great fun & often rewarding as a part time hobby.
You can also find out more by visiting the blog (http://modelsdirect.wordpress.com) or by following Models Direct on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/models_direct).